A friend was talking to me prior to last Christmas and she was faced with a delimma. She needed to figure out her boyfriend’s ring size without letting on that she was hoping to get him a ring for a gift. I told her that if I thought on it long enough, I might be able to come up with something ingenious. I eventually settled on ‘take him bowling’ but before I did, my twisted brain came up with a bunch more, less than pleasant or productive ways to get the same information. Thus the list that follows…
How (NOT) to get your significant other’s ring size:
- Take them to Grauman’s Chinese restaurant and theater in Hollywood and get them to immortalize their hands and feet in cement. Come back later and measure the resulting cast. (OK, this might require you bribing someone at Grauman’s)
- Take them some where and do something completely outrageous that gets you both arrested. After you are released from police custody, file an Freedom of information act request to receive a copy of their fingerprints. Measure the width to determine the circumference of their fingers.
- ‘Accidentally’ slam their hand in a doorjam or something similar and rush them to the E.R. Then flirt with the x-ray technician at the hospital emergency room to get a copy of the x-ray. Again, measure the result to calculate the finger size.
- Tell them you are on a nostalgia kick for old 80’s TV commercials. Get out some Palmolive and pretend to be ‘Marge’ and soak their fingers in it. Use the methods of liquid displacement to calculate the volume of their fingers. Use the results to calculate the mass of the finger in question and derive the size.
- Buy a pair of leather gloves that you know are too small, and get him to try them on. Be really insistent and pay close attention to just how far they actually do go on. Then find other guys that would be willing to let you ‘know’ their ring size and pretend you are Johnny Cochran by making them all try on the gloves until you find someone with a similar fit.
- Start ‘fooling around’ or necking near a copy machine. Keep losing your balance or making them lose theirs and then hit the ‘copy’ button by mistake. You might get lucky and catch their hand in one of the copies and can use it to determine the size of their finger.
- Keep dropping small objects down small holes and asking their help to retrieve them until their finger gets stuck in one of them. Measure the size of the hole after you use the left over palmolive to help them get their finger back out.
- For male ring size, if you buy into the old urban legend that correlates to the ‘size of a man’s hands’, you could always start by getting a tattoo like the one pictured below…